The Year of St. Joseph Explainer
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of St. Joseph as Patron of the Universal Church, Pope Francis announced that the Church would celebrate a special year dedicated to St. Joseph beginning on December 8, 2020 and continuing through December 8, 2021.
In the Archdiocese of Edmonton, a time dedicated to St. Joseph will officially begin on March 19, and conclude with the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 2021.
In this video, Father Paul Kavanagh, rector of St. Joseph’s Basilica, explains some of the initiatives to honour St. Joseph this year as an Archdiocesan family. Some parishes already have plans to do this in their parish communities. At the same time, we invite you participate in a sign of unity with Archbishop Richard Smith.
Initiatives to honour St. Joseph this year as an Archdiocesan family
Some parishes already have plans to do this in their parish communities. At the same time, we invite you participate in a sign of unity with Archbishop Richard Smith.
In preparation for March 19, the Archdiocese will join St. Joseph Seminary in the recitation of a Novena to St. Joseph starting on March 10. Three special Masses will be presided by Archbishop Smith at St. Joseph’s Basilica:
- March 19, 2021 at 5:30 p.m. – St. Joseph, Husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- May 1, 2021 at 11 a.m. – St. Joseph the Worker and Dedication of the Cathedral
- December 8, 2021 at 5:30 p.m. – Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
Each of these Masses will be accompanied by:
- A focused catechetical video.
- The imparting of the Apostolic Blessing with plenary indulgence by the Archbishop at the end of Mass in place of the customary blessing. Those who are not able to attend the Mass in-person are able to receive the Apostolic Blessing by participating virtually in the celebrations.
- The Archdiocese intends to promote love for St. Joseph and encourage the faithful to implore his intercession and imitate his virtue and zeal. To this end, the recitation of a Novena throughout the year or a prayer to St. Joseph is to be encouraged.
More helpful resources:
- Pope Francis, Apostolic Letter Patris Corde, 8 December 2020
- Novena to St. Joseph, March 10-18 version.
- Novena to St. Joseph, year-round version.
- Prayers to St. Joseph
- Archdiocesan Holy Card for the year of St. Joseph.
- Archbishop Smith’s video explaining indulgences, 17 March 2020.
- Year of St. Joseph’s “Best Practices” in the Archdiocese.